Sunday, August 30, 2015

Stitch Fix Review - August 2015

Raise your hand if you have a hard time picking out fashion forward clothing! *raises hand*

Raise your hand if you have kids and hate standing in a dressing room with kids running around or screaming while you try on clothes quickly only to realize that they don't fit as well as you thought in the poorly lit store! *raises hand*

Raise your hand if you spend 8 dollars on clothing at the clearance racks in Target just because it's cheap? And then wear it once or twice and the neck stretches or it doesn't wash well or unravels! *raises hand*

OOOO ME FOR ALL THINGS!

I got down to a good post pregnancy weight and had found myself in a rut. I would find a shirt I liked at Target and buy it in 5 colors. I would troll the racks in TJ Maxx and buy things because they were a good deal, not because I liked them, or fit well, or were in "season". I was in a hurry and would grab something to try on, with all my kids with me, and get home and didn't fit as well as I thought. And I'm so lazy, I wouldn't return it.

VOILA! A whole closet of ill fitting, boring, nursing stretched out clothes.

Then, my friend suggested I try Stitch Fix. I'm hooked.

It's amazing.

You fill out a very detailed style profile about your self. BE HONEST. It's all about your sizes, your body type, selecting items and outfits that you like or don't like, and your body proportions (with questions like, "do you think you have broad shoulders, do you have wide hips, would you say that your torso is long, etc).

Then, you pick a date. And you can request certain things from your stylist in a personal note. You can ask for things like, "I'd really like a cardigan for fall that I can wear to work." Or "Can you include a little black dress because I am going to a bachelorette party this month?" I actually did that one and they sent me two dresses :)

They charge you a $20 "styling fee" and someone personally selects 5 items for you. If you keep 1 thing out of your box, the $20 is subtracted from your total. Then a box of goodies arrives on your doorstep. And it's like Christmas. The giddy anxiety of the surprise is amazing. Since I buy pretty basic items, some of the items your stylist sends will be out of your comfort zone. TRY ON EVERYTHING ANYWAY!

You open your box and see this:


Oh the possibilities! This is actually my 4th fix and my first 5/5, meaning I kept all 5 items in the box.

This is the wishbone fringe necklace:


This is my first pair of jeans in 4 fixes and Oh. My. Goodness. They fix amazing. Which is shocking because finding pants for a girl who is pear shaped is NOT easy. They're actually a little long, but since they're skinnies, I plan on tucking them into boots for fall and winter, and then rolling them boyfriend style, for the rest of summer. I also love that they're dark, because I can dress them up with heels.


This is the Pixley Edmund Chevron Print Henley knit top. I am obsessed. This is one of the softest shirts I've ever worn. And I love the detailing with the buttons on the sleeves. I have a long torso too, so this is a great length. With my new jeans (rolled) and a pair of sandals.


This is hands down my favorite thing that came in the box. It's a hoodie. But dressier. So I can wear it of the house and look super put together. In a hoodie. This is the Loveappella Evie Drawstring Funnel Neck Sweatshirt. And those are the same jeans tucked into my favorite grey boots.


I love wearing stripes. And this shirt is so cute. I was hesitant at first, because I refuse to wear a shirts that I can't wear a bra with straps. I put on a nude bra and crossed my fingers. SUCCESS! I can wear a nude bra and you can't see the straps through the lace detailing on the sleeves and across the back. This is the Market and Spruce Gillia Lace Detail knit top. And those are the same pants from this fix with wedges.


Here is a close up of the lace detailing. It's SO pretty.


The other thing I love is that my stylist sends a "styling card." It shows the versatility of different pieces in the box so that you can wear the item in different ways with items you might already have in your closet. Your stylist also writes you a note (top right box of the styling card in the picture) with suggestions and tips for styling your items. Which, for someone like me, who doesn't have a fashionable bone in their body, is a godsend.


So then you decide what you're keeping. If you keep all 5 items, you get a 25% discount on the total cost of the box. Minus the $20 styling fee. If you send it all back, they keep your $20 for shipping. So that sucks. Then you go to the Stitch Fix website and CHECK OUT. You fill out a questionnaire about the fit and style of everything inside so that they can consider that for your next box. Then you put the items you DON'T want into a bag with a prepaid label that came in your box. And drop it off at a UPS, USPS or Fed-Ex. DONE.


You can pick the frequency you receive your boxes. Some people get boxes every 2-3 weeks, every month, every other month or whatever. It's part of your styling profile and can change it at any time.

If you fall into any of the above categories, CLICK HERE and fill out a styling profile and see what you think!

I love my new items and while the prices are more than I would normally pay, I have SO much self control in Target over impulse purchases now. I can walk by and be like, "NOPE!! My box comes in two weeks, I don't need your clearance rack!" I've been able to seriously shut down impulse buying.

If you decide to try it, I'll get a referral credit to use towards an item in my next fix! Try it. Try it.

https://www.stitchfix.com/referral/5323955

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for this! I may need to give it a try. I'm terrible at picking out clothes, and they never seem to fit me well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so cool. Makes me wonder if it is available in Canada. Everything you got looks great on you! I love the purple top and hoodie the best.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading!