Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Who Loves Craigslist??? ME!!!!

I have been shopping around for an antique buffet table on craigslist for a long time. Like 6 months. And my dear dear readers, I have found it. I started looking for one while living with my inlaws, KNOWING that I couldn't have it because there would be no way to transport it. So a perfect one would come up for sale in Vegas and I would cry because I wasn't there to pick it up.

And then, THIS happened on thursday night:

THIS IS AWESOME!


ANOTHER ONE?!?!?!


NOOOOO WAY!! THEY'RE SELLING 3?????


Like I said, I have been pricing these for about 6 months. 200 dollars a piece was a STEAL! WHAT! I thrust my computer in Troy's face and said something like "Igottahaveoneofthesewhichonedoyoulike???"

I was already on the phone with the lady before he could respond. ALL THREE where still there!! She wanted me to come that night, but Troy was going to play poker with some of the boys at work and Avery was already in bed, so there was no way that was going to happen. Friday I had 2 job interviews and offered to come pick up whatever was left in between them. Troy was in serious eye roll mode. I was salivating into the phone. And sweet talking the lady a little bit :) By the end of the phone call, she had agreed to $180.

I go to her house and all 3 are still there. I get my pick of the litter. To be honest, I would have been happy with any of them. She told me that they were used in a restaurant downtown for storage and the restaurant was recently demo'd. She rescued them for her daughter, who refinishes furniture and resells them. Her daughter lives in Iowa. I guess after talking it over with her, they realized that it wasn't cost efficient to transport them all over the place to resell them. So she's selling them here. LUCKY ME :)

My favorite one (look wise) was the 3rd one. I love the long spindly legs. They're so pretty. So much detail. But ugh. With all those crossbars and support rails underneath, I would have to move that monster every time I swept or vacuumed around it. No thank you.

Number 1 had some splintering and split wood going on on the doors and the sides. Sorry buddy, but that just will not do.

Lucky number 2 came home with me. I was worried that it wouldn't fit in the back of my Ford Edge, but she slid in nicely.

We set her up on the wall in the family room coming in from the garage.

Here is it bare. It's that wall right there on the right:


And here it is, occupying said space:


I didn't get a picture of it, but it was the MOST gorgeous piece of furniture in the room. And tallest. Taller than our media stand that our TV sits on. I couldn't stop staring at it. Troy loved it too. We found this on the inside of the top drawer and he immediately starting researching it.


We cleaned it out and found straws, receipts, and credit card carbon copy papers dated to 1994. We found a newspaper from 1999. And someone spilled SOMETHING that was making me gag in the left door. I kept wiping and wiping and it was sliding all over the place. I rinsed out my rag and it was making more and more bubbles. Then I realized....oh thank God, it's just orange dish soap. And I was able to stop gagging.

How cool is this drawer? All the separations are awesome for organizing. It makes my OCD heart so happy!


After staring at it for about 3 hours, I was like, it can't stay here. Troy almost started crying. He was like, "but where am I going to put my keys, and wallet, and sunglasses, and my watch, and my spare change??" This was going to be his "drop spot" when he comes home from work. He is currently keeping everything on the island in the kitchen and it is making me CRAZY! So he was looking forward to a home for his stuff.

I was like "eh, I'll figure it out." So we hauled the buffet into the foyer and put it on the wall right to the right when you walk in the front door. It looks MUCH better because of proportions. The room is bigger, the ceilings are higher. It isn't competing for attention with the rest of the room. I am OBSESSED. So I dressed it up a little bit.

Isn't she pretty?



I took the covers off some books and stacked them up. And put my prized favorite pig on top.


There are some pictures of me and my Mom (love this picture) and then Troy and I at the annual awards ceremony in Dover, when I was preggo with Avery.


This is an old tray that I bought at a thrift store in Alamogordo with some other little things for decoration :)


So what are we doing with that empty wall now that the buffet was just too big? Well let me tell you...I hit up Craigslist again and picked something up on saturday between nanny interviews. And it's perfect. Shorter than the TV stand, narrower than the buffet, and not such a domineering piece of furniture...be back later this week with that :)

Hope everyone had a great Labor Day!









1 comment:

  1. You know, when I first looked at all three I was like, "ohmahgawd! I think #2 looks exactly like the one my parents had when I was a kid!" You know... not the EXACT same one, that one resides with my Dad in Florida. But, yeah, it LOOKS like that.

    And then you ended up getting #2! So happy for you! (Also, YEAH, clearly I love Craigslist)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading!