Friday, October 9, 2015

Ageing Gracefully - Seattle Trip Part 1

So, I'm officially in my thirties. I'm good with it. I went to Seattle to visit my sister for the weekend.

Back in May, Southwest was having this crazy flash sale with flights starting at $49 one way, so I decided to look up flights to Seattle, since they were cheap and wanted a good deal. Taylor comes to visit 3 times a year, so it's only fair, really. Low and behold, a round trip ticket on Southwest for $160. It wasn't $100, but I figured that was a pretty great price, so click and done! I bought them without checking with Troy first, figuring, it's my birthday, he can't be mad :)

I left on thursday afternoon and had a very relaxing flight there. The plane landed about 630pm and Taylor picked me up to go downtown and we met Aunt Leslie for dinner at a place called Terra Plata for dinner. It was delicious. One thing you should know about Taylor. She is a MAJOR foodie. I never order when we are together. She is the BEST orderer. I usually don't even look at the menu. She is awesome. As a side note, I weighed myself after the trip. I gained 6 pounds. In 4 days. Not my best. You'll see why after all the food pictures in this blog...lots of food and more booze than I normally have in 6 weeks.

We went back to her apartment and went to bed about 11pm.

Taylor had to get up friday morning and go to a meeting for work. I stayed home and drank coffee for 4 hours, laid on the couch and watched Netflix. It was the fastest 4 hours of my life. When I'm home with the kids, those are our busy hours and I feel like I'm always checking things off my to do list. Not that day. It was wonderful.

I realized how much time had gone by and I told Taylor I'd be showered, dressed and ready to go by 1230 when she got home. The leisurely shower I had planned was out the door because I let time get away from me. Whoops.

I rushed around and got ready, just in time. Taylor got home and we headed out to Seattle's famous Pikes Market. You know, where they throw the fish. I always picture the opening scene from the Real World, where they toss the fish and "The Real World" is written on the fish. We had pesto lasagna and mushroom risotto at a restaurant called The Pink Door and a few glasses of wine. Yum.

Then we walked across the alley and went to a wine bar called the Tasting Room, where I ordered a flight of wine called "Aging Gracefully." It was yummy. I don't consider myself a wine taster/connoiseur AT ALL, but when you drink wine one after the other, you can really taste the difference. I'm normally like, WINE!! It's good. All wine is good. But all wine is not good when compared one right after the other. So lesson learned.

Then we went and walked around Pike's Market. The very first ever Starbucks is there. The line was absurd. We did not get coffee there. But that's okay. We were already AT LEAST 1 bottle of wine in. At 2pm.

I'll tell you what though. Flower in Seattle are GORGEOUS. And cheap. It was ridiculous. If I were to get married there, I would just go down to the market the day of the ceremony and buy the $5 bouquets. Stick them in a watering can and call it good. They were absolutely beautiful.

I mean, seriously right?

Taylor documented just about everything.

I'm an embarrassed tourist. Meaning I HATE looking like a tourist with all the posing and taking pictures. I want to look like a local. She kept making stand and pose for everything. I started making ridiculous faces in retalition to her forced tourist shots. Which you will see momentarily.

I like to eat. Hence the 6 pounds. The bakeries down there were awesome. I get excited about food. I have no self control with portions. I ate that whole thing.

And then we went to a brewery.

I had the cider. It was delicious. We hung out at the brewery for a bit and then went for a long walk to the Mariners stadium.

Isn't that pretty?

Let me tell you. After walking around Seattle, my hips were SO sore. I know, I know. I turn 30 and start complaining about my old lady hips. But for real. Those Seattle hills are ridiculous. I thought I was gonna face plant about 20 times.

We walked to the Mariner's stadium for a baseball game, but we were a little early. We ducked into a bar next to the stadium called Elysian that serves Taylor's favorite fall brew, called the Night Owl. Here we are, with me looking silly excited about my beer. But in all honesty, here's my review. JUST BECAUSE YOU DUMP NUTMEG AND CLOVES IN A BEER BREWED WITH PUMPKIN, IT DOES NOT MAKE IT GOOD. Just saying. It was okay.

This gets more embarrassing. I seriously ate so much this weekend. The next thing I ate was called a Seattle Dog. Ermahgerd. It was delicious. It was a park hotdog with cream cheese, grilled onions and peppers on it. So. Damn. Good. Can you tell by my face? I ate the whole thing.

I just love baseball games. Especially that day. It is SO HOT in Vegas still. It was wonderful to do an outdoor activity where it was officially fall weather in that location. The people watching was good. The Mariners lost, but, c'est la vie.

It was fan appreciation night, so we got a fireworks show. Which I was SUPER impressed with. The quality of the fireworks was excellent.

Part 2 - coming up soon! Hiking and SURPRISE!! More eating. Those pounds had to come from somewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading!