Friday, January 18, 2013

SAHM #4 - The Mommy Chronicles

OOOOOOOO I'm excited!! We are on week 4 of the Mommy Chronicles.

Here's how this started.
Momma 1 here
Momma 2 here
Momma 3 here

Now that you're all caught up, here's our next blogger for "The Mommy Chronicles."

And I am posting these blogs in the order that I receive them in my inbox. This whole "planning ahead" for blogs is a new concept for me :) It feels good! I have almost 2 MONTHS worth of fridays all ready to go. If you have submitted an email to me or someone else, I will be shooting you a heads up if this is your week!

Mommy #4 is a stay at home mom of 5! YOU GO GIRL! She is a cook, chauffeur, and dry cleaning lady :) And one of the most positive people I know. Her hubs is deploying in a few weeks and everyone needs to send prayers her way :(

Are you a home engineer (SAHM) or do you work?

I am a domestic engineer (SAHM)

Why is that the best choice for your family?

My kids are the most important thing to me (except my husband of course). I wanted to be home with them. My mom was home for me and I was so blessed to have that. I wanted to do that for my children. My husband would work mulitiple jobs for me to stay at home and be with them and nurture them. And I really didn’t want it any other way.

What is your favorite thing to do with your kiddo(s)?

I think my favorite thing is sitting at the dinner table and have silly conversations…as a family. They really do say the silliest things. I also like family movie night.

What do you love about it?

I love that I get to see everything. I am there for everything. I am there to teach them how to make right choices and what happens when they don’t. I get to see them walk, talk, share, laugh, and cry. I get to hold them when their feelings get hurt or when they are sad. I love that they need me, and to be honest, I need them.

What do you hate about it? (being at home or working)

I hate that I cannot go to the bathroom without having a kid asking where I am going and if I am done yet or one screaming at the door cause another kid hit them…haha. I hate that as soon as I clean up a mess, something else is dirty. I hate that the laundry NEVER seems to be done. I mean, lets be honest, being a SAHM is not awesome or glamorous. By the end of some days I just want curl up in the fetal position and rock myself to sleep. Haha. Its HARD work and that’s on the days you were lazy.

If you are a stay at home mom, what do you do for "you" time?

Well, I have an awesome husband that knows when I need a break. He knows it before I do. Girls nights are my favorite thing. And we really try to plan date nights as often as possible.

What do you do to recharge (since really, you work full time)? How do you get adult time?

Girls nights, date nights and I honestly LOVE to have people over to eat. I think we have people over at least once a week. I love play dates and chatting with the moms about how crazy, silly or frustrating our kids are. Its serious therapy for FREE!

Are you worried (in any way) that your choice (no matter what it is) might affect your child?

I am not at all worried about my choice. It was an easy one for me to make and I know that its what is right path for our family. If I had a chance to go back and make a different one, I wouldn’t. I know that my place is in the home, doing THE hardest job there is!

The one thing I fear, is failure. I fear that I don’t do enough. Wondering if I have missed an important principle or lesson they needed to know. Wondering if I loved them enough. If I do enough. But when it comes down to it, I have to remind myself that as long as I do my best with a heart full of love my short comings will be taken care of.

If you could have a day away from your kids, where you could do anything, what would it be and where would you go?

This question makes me laugh only because I will talk and talk and talk about how bad I need to get away for awhile, but as soon as I leave, I miss it and the little buggers that are waving goodbye. Its kind of sad and pathetic but its true. Haha. The only time I have ever left my family to get away on my own was to go visit my family in Idaho. I loved the break but missed them terribly! But that is what I would choose, to go visit the family I rarely get to see.

What is the most embarrassing thing you have ever done as a mom?

Im sure my kids think I have done a lot of emabrrassing things, but I can only think of one. I was talking to my son’s teacher at parent teacher conference and just burst out in tears in front of her. My son was struggling in reading at the time and I just felt a little hopeless and overwhelmed. The teacher was very sweet and sensitive. I was however MORTIFIED that I couldn’t keep it under control until I at least got to the car…I am still embarrassed to this day when I see his teacher. Haha.

What have your kids done to embarrass you?

Oh, I am sure I have a lot. But the one that comes to mind was my daughter pointing to my tummy rolls and asking me if there was a baby in there…haha.

What does your husband/family do to support you?

My husband always seems to know when I need a break or a night out before I do. I always feel guilty for leaving him in charge but know that I feel so much better when I do. He comes home and helps out with the kids without me even having to ask.

What do you wish he would do?

Right now, NOTHING! I am still dealing with and wrapping my head around the AMAZING Christmas presents he bought me. He is on a good road until Mother’s Day. Haha.

In regards to the stay at home mom vs. working mom debate, why do you think there is so much controversy? Be brutally honest.

Women tend to get defensive when it comes to their children and their decisions. When someone comes around and doesn’t share that opinion, we tend to get vicious and the claws come out. Women can be nasty to each other. We can say pretty hurtful things when it comes to what we do with our children. My honest thoughts are, don’t judge! Everyone has different circumstances and reasons for what they do. I still respect those that make the decision to work. I do not judge them for that choice just because its not MY choice. We are hard enough on ourselves, we don’t need help…

How is motherhood different from what you expected? Exactly what you expected?

My mother made it look easy. I grew up in a house that I never remember EVER being messy. My clothes were always clean. And we always had a homemade meal every night. She just made it look EASY! And its NOT. It took a few years for me to realize that she didn’t have it all put together at first either. She learned, just as I am learning. It will all come in time. Hopefully…

Are there things you swore you would/wouldn't do that you have changed your tune about?

Not really, but there is something I thought I was, until I had kids and realize I am not PATIENT! I am with adults, but mini adults…not so much. That is a work in progress…

Keep Brie and her family in your prayers as Jared deploys in the next few weeks. It's going to be a hard transition for them and they can use all the support they can get.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading!